1. What is the typical speed limit in Benidorm?
In Spain, the speed limit is typically 50 km/h in cities, including Benidorm. However, on motorways the maximum speed limit can go up to 120 km/h. It's recommended to be aware of signboards indicating speed limits in the respective areas or lanes.
2. What type of driving license is acceptable in Benidorm?
European Union citizens can use their home country's license. Travellers from outside the EU should have an International Driving Permit along with their valid home country's driving license.
3. Are there many speed cameras in Benidorm?
Yes, speed cameras, also known as traffic radars, are quite common in Benidorm. Hence, it is advisable to stick to the prescribed speed limits.
4. How are the toll roads in and around Benidorm?
There are several toll roads in and around Benidorm primarily on the motorways. Electronic toll collection systems are also in place. Travellers can choose to avoid them, but these routes might be quicker and less crowded.
5. Are there any specific driving rules in Benidorm?
Driving rules in Benidorm are in line with the general Spanish driving laws. Besides adhering to speed limits, drivers need to respect traffic signs and rules, avoid using horn in town unless in danger, and keep lights on while driving in tunnels.
6. Do cars drive on the left or right in Benidorm?
Cars drive on the right side of the road in Benidorm and throughout Spain.
7. How is the traffic in Benidorm?
The traffic in Benidorm typically remains moderate but can increase during peak hours and tourist seasons. The main town roads can become quite dense, and parking might be challenging.
8. Is it mandatory to have a safety kit while driving in Benidorm?
Yes, it is mandatory to have a reflective jacket and two warning triangles in the car in case of an emergency or breakdown.
9. Are there any restrictions for novice drivers in Benidorm?
For drivers with less than one year of experience, the speed limit is lower, and alcohol limit is strictly zero.
10. Are child seats mandatory in Benidorm?
Yes, using appropriate child restraint systems is mandatory for children measuring less than 135 cm in height.
11. Are there any specific documents I should have while driving in Benidorm?
Keep your driving license, car rental documents, and personal identification with you at all times when driving.
12. What are the penalties for speeding in Benidorm?
Speeding fines are heavy and range between 100 and 600 Euros based on how much over the speed limit you were driving.
13. Are there guidelines for overtaking in Benidorm?
The general rule is to overtake on the left, but you may overtake on the right in certain specific scenarios, like in a congestion if traffic is moving in lanes. Always use indicators.
14. How are parking facilities in Benidorm?
Public car parking is available in Benidorm but it can be challenging to find a spot during peak tourist season. There are both paid and free parking spots available. Some parking zones have time limits, so keep an eye out for signboards.
15. Are GPS-based navigation systems reliable in Benidorm?
GPS systems are generally reliable and helpful for navigating around the city and to nearby locations. But it is also advisable to have a traditional map for backup just in case.