1. On which side of the road do I drive in Maspalomas?
In Maspalomas, and in Spain, you drive on the right side of the road.
2. What is the speed limit in Maspalomas?
The speed limit in urban areas, such as Maspalomas, is generally 30-50 km/h. On intercity roads, the limit is usually 90-100 km/h, and on motorways it´s 120 km/h.
3. Where can I find information about traffic in Maspalomas?
Several online services provide real-time traffic information for Maspalomas. The Spanish Directorate General of Traffic also provides updates on their website.
4. Do I need a special driving license to drive in Maspalomas?
No. If you have a valid driving license from any EU country, you can use it in Spain. If your license is non-EU, you should have an International Driving Permit along with your valid national driving license.
5. Are there any specific driving rules I should be aware of in Maspalomas?
Yes. For instance, it´s mandatory to use indicators when changing lanes or turning, and you must give way to vehicles coming from the right unless otherwise indicated.
6. Are there toll roads around Maspalomas?
Currently, there are no toll roads in the Canary Islands, where Maspalomas is located.
7. Does Maspalomas have radars for speed enforcement?
Yes. Fixed and mobile radars are in operation in Maspalomas and throughout Spain to enforce speed limits.
8. What´s the parking system like in Maspalomas?
There are both free and paid parking zones in Maspalomas. Some areas require a 'blue zone' parking ticket, which can be purchased from machines nearby.
9. What should I do in case of a car accident in Maspalomas?
If it´s a minor accident with no injuries, exchange insurance information with the other driver, and report the accident to your rental car company as soon as possible. If there are injuries, call the emergency number 112 immediately.
10. Can children sit in the front seat of the car?
In Spain, children aged under 12 who are less than 135 cm tall must use a child restraint system suitable for their size and weight, and may not ride in the front seat unless all back seats are already occupied by other minors in their child seats.
11. Can I use headphones while driving?
No. Using earphones connected to audio devices while driving is not allowed.
12. What documents should I carry while driving in Maspalomas?
You should have with you your driving license, proof of insurance, and ID or passport.
13. Is eating allowed while driving in Maspalomas?
While not strictly illegal, it's strongly discouraged as it could potentially distract you while driving.
14. How do pedestrian crossings work in Maspalomas?
Drivers must stop at zebra crossings if there are pedestrians waiting to cross.
15. Are carpool lanes a common thing in Maspalomas?
Currently, there are not specific carpool lanes in Maspalomas.