1. Which side of the road do I drive on in Oviedo?
In Spain, including Oviedo, you always drive on the right-hand side of the road.
2. What is the maximum speed limit in Oviedo?
In Oviedo, the speed limit within the city is usually 50 km/h. On main roads and highways, it can range from 90 to 120 km/h.
3. Can I drive in Oviedo with my home country driver's license?
Visitors from EU and EEA countries can use their home-country´s license to drive in Spain. Non-EU/EEA residents can use their home license along with an International Driving Permit for a certain period.
4. Are there many speed cameras in Oviedo?
Yes, speed cameras and radars are common in Oviedo as well as throughout Spain. It is advisable to observe posted speed limits at all times.
5. Are there toll roads in and around Oviedo?
Yes, there are several toll roads in Spain, including some major highways leading to and from Oviedo.
6. What traffic rules do I need to be aware of in Oviedo?
Some important traffic rules to remember in Spain include always giving way to vehicles from the right unless otherwise indicated, not overtaking in hatched road markings, and adhering to lane discipline. Always use turn signals for changing lanes or turning.
7. How do zebra crossings work in Oviedo?
Vehicles are required to stop at zebra crossings to let pedestrians cross. Always be vigilant and respectful of pedestrians.
8. What should I do in case of a traffic accident in Oviedo?
In the event of a traffic accident, contact the local authorities and your car rental company. Fill out an accident report form if necessary.
9. Are there specific parking rules in Oviedo?
Yes. You must not park within 5 meters of a crossroads, and 15 meters of a bus stop. Parking is also prohibited near traffic signs. Some areas require a parking ticket, which you can buy from local machines or kiosks.
10. Can I use carpool lanes in Oviedo?
Only cars with two or more occupants can use carpool lanes in Oviedo during peak hours.
11. Are child seats mandatory in Oviedo?
Yes. All children aged under 12 and shorter than 135 cm must be seated in a proper child seat.
12. Can I turn right on red in Oviedo?
Turning right on red is not permitted in Oviedo unless there is a specific green arrow allowing it.
13. How does the roundabout work in Oviedo?
At roundabouts, drivers must give way to vehicles already on the roundabout. If the roundabout has multiple lanes, keep in mind that the right-hand lane is usually for exiting the roundabout.
14. What kind of insurance do I need to drive a car in Oviedo?
All drivers in Oviedo must have a minimum of third-party liability insurance.
15. Is hands-free allowed while driving in Oviedo?
Yes, using a hands-free system for mobile phone is allowed, but handheld use while driving is not permitted.