1. Which side of the road is driving on in Alcalá de Henares?
In Alcalá de Henares, like the rest of Spain, driving is done on the right-hand side of the road.
2. What's the speed limit in Alcalá de Henares?
The urban speed limit in Alcalá de Henares and most cities in Spain is 50 km/h, though it can lower to 30 km/h in residential areas. In rural and interurban roads, the speed limit can increase up to 90-100 km/h depending on the road conditions.
3. Can I use my home country's driving licence in Alcalá and Spain?
Yes, you can use your home country's driving licence in Spain for as long as it is valid. However, for non-EU driving license holders, it is recommended to obtain an International Driving Permit as well.
4. Are there many speed cameras in Alcalá de Henares?
Yes, there are several speed cameras in Alcalá de Henares and also on the major highways in Spain, used to enforce speed limits.
5. What are common traffic rules in Alcalá de Henares?
Common traffic rules include right-hand driving, giving way to the right, no overtaking in dangerous situations such as curves, hilltops and crossings, and stopping for pedestrians at crosswalks.
6. Are there toll roads in Alcalá de Henares?
No, there are no toll roads in Alcalá de Henares itself, but some major highways in Spain do have tolls.
7. What is expected of drivers at pedestrian crossings?
Drivers in Alcalá de Henares are expected to give way to pedestrians who are crossing or appear to be about to cross the road.
8. Where can I find information about the road conditions and traffic in Alcalá de Henares?
Real-time traffic information in Alcalá de Henares can be found on various websites and mobile apps, including the Spanish Traffic Authority´s (DGT) website and app.
9. Can I drive in Alcalá de Henares if I´m under 18?
The minimum age to drive a car in Spain is 18 years old.
10. How high are penalties for speeding in Alcalá de Henares?
Speeding penalties can vary greatly depending on the excess speed, starting from 100 euros and can go up to 600 euros for very high speeds.
11. Are there any special parking rules in Alcalá de Henares?
In some areas of the city, street parking is regulated and is paid, usually identifiable by blue zones. There are also several public car parks in the city center.
12. Is blind overtaking allowed in Spain?
No, blind overtaking is considered a serious offence and is not allowed in Spain.
13. Can I turn right on a red light in Alcalá de Henares?
No, turning right on a red light is not allowed in Spain, unless there's a sign that specifically permits it.
14. Are U-turns allowed in Alcalá de Henares?
U-turns are generally allowed in Spain, as long as they can be made safely and do not interfere with other traffic. However, they are not permitted where there is a 'no U-turn' sign or a continuous white line.
15. What safety equipment must I have in my car in Spain?
In Spain, you are required to have a reflective vest, two red warning triangles, and a spare tyre or tyre repair kit in your car. It´s also recommended to have a first-aid kit.