1. Which side of the road should I drive on in Málaga?
In Málaga, like the rest of Spain, cars drive on the right-hand side of the road.
2. What are the primary speed limits in Málaga?
In urban areas, the speed limit is typically 50 km/h, on local roads it is 90 km/h, and on highways and motorways, it is either 100 km/h or 120 km/h.
3. Do I need an international driving licence to drive in Málaga?
For EU citizens, your domestic licence is sufficient. Non-EU citizens may require an International Driving Permit, alongside their domestic licence. Always check prior to travel.
4. Are there many toll roads in and around Málaga?
Yes, there are some toll roads in and around Málaga. The A-7 has some toll sections, as does the AP-46.
5. What are the rules regarding roundabouts in Málaga?
When approaching a roundabout, give way to traffic already on it. In multi-lane roundabouts, use the outermost lane for exits immediately to the right, the middle lane for proceeding straight, and the inside lane to turn left.
6. Are there many speed radars in Málaga?
Yes, throughout Málaga and its surrounding areas, speed radars are common. Complying with speed limits is the best way to avoid fines.
7. How is traffic in Málaga?
Traffic can be heavy during rush hours in Málaga, especially during the summer tourist season. Plan your travel accordingly.
8. Is parking easy in Málaga?
Parking in Málaga city center can be challenging due to its busy nature. Consider using public parking garages or Park-and-Ride facilities on the outskirts.
9. Are there any special driving rules in Málaga I should know about?
It's mandatory to carry a warning triangle and a safety vest in the car. Also, you must use your car's lights during tunnels, no matter the time of day.
10. How do I handle rental car damage or accidents in Málaga?
In case of an accident, call the local police and the rental company immediately. Do not leave the scene before authorities arrive.
11. How is the road signage in Málaga?
Spanish road signs follow international standards. Some signs might be in Spanish, so it's recommended to familiarize yourself with basic terms.
12. How are the road conditions in Málaga?
Road conditions in Málaga and Spain, in general, are very good, with well-maintained urban and countryside roads.
13. Is driving in Málaga safe?
Yes, driving in Málaga is generally safe, but like any other city, it requires careful and attentive driving.
14. Can I drive from Málaga to other Spanish cities?
Yes, Spain has an extensive network of highways and roads that make it possible to drive comfortably between cities.
15. Do I have to pay a deposit when renting a car in Málaga?
Typically, car rental companies require a deposit. This varies by company and the car's category.